Author sightings, partner events, and other notable happenings.
Dave Thomas of Pragmatic Programmers and Jim Weirich of EdgeCase will deliver the keynotes at Red Dirt Ruby Conference in Oklahoma City in May. The organizers hope to make it a uniquely focused and productive experience, partly by limiting attendance. The conference is organized around four themes:
Ruby: The Ruby language still has the power to surprise us. This theme is focused on Ruby syntax, gems, and good development practices.
Rails 3: Ruby on Rails is crossing a huge milestone. This theme is centered on topics such as routing, metal, the new response system, and advanced queries.
NoSQL: Database choice affects application performance and scalability. This theme will focus on databases such as MongoDB, Riak, Redis, and Tokyo Cabinet.
Servers: Ruby is well suited for web based applications. This theme will focus on tools such as Rack, Unicorn, EventMachine, Resque, and AWS.
- May 6-7, Oklahoma City, OK
- Mar 4, Birmingham University, seminar“Domain Driven Design using Naked Objects”Dan Haywood, the author of Domain-Driven Design Using Naked Objects
- Mar 8-9, Devnexus, Atlanta, GAJava related topics
- Mar 9-12, Reston, VA
- Mar 9-12, Reston, VAMastering Ruby and Rails Studios (sold out)
- Mar 11, CocoaHeads, Ann Arbor, MI“In-App Purchase: Why, How, and Why Not”Chris Adamson, the author of iPhone SDK Development
- Mar 11, QCon London, London, UK“Breaking Your Agile Addiction”
- Mar 11, Boston Chapter, IIBA“Overcoming Several Pitfalls of Transitioning to Agile”
- Mar 15-17, Reston, VAClojure Programming Studio (sold out)
- Mar 16-17, Scandinavian Developer ConferenceTBD
- “I Think I Finally Understand Mocks,” “Agile Values,” and “Artisanal Retro-Futurism Crossed With Team-Scale Anarcho-Syndicalism”
- Mar 17, Capital Area Clojure Users GroupStuart Halloway and Rich Hickey on Clojure
- Mar 18, Turku Agile Day 2010, Finland“Timeboxed Thinking”Staffan Nöteberg, the author of Pomodoro Technique Illustrated: The Easy Way to Do More in Less Time, and Portia Tung
- Mar 18-29, SPARK IT, BangaloreGroovy and Java topics
- Mar 19-20, Agile Coach Camp, RTP, NCTBDJared Richardson, the author of Ship it!: A Practical Guide to Successful Software Projects
- Mar 20-21, RubyConf IndiaKeynote AddressChad Fowler, the author of The Passionate Programmer: Creating a Remarkable Career in Software Development
- “Coaching Teams over Acceptance Testing Hurdles”
- Mar 26-27, Scottish Ruby Conference“I Think I Finally Understand Mocks”
- Apr 6-8, Reston, VA
- Apr 8, New England Java Users Group“An Experiential Introduction to Agile”
- Apr 8-9, Philly Emerging TechnologyTBD
- Apr 8-9, Philadelphia Emergent ConferenceBuilding DSLs with Groovy
- Apr 10, Twin Cities Code Camp, Minneapolis, MN“HTML5 and CSS3 Today”Brian Hogan, the author of Web Design for Developers
- Apr 11-14, 360iDev, San Jose, CA“Core Audio: Don't Be Afraid To Play It LOUD!”Chris Adamson, the author of iPhone SDK Development
- Apr 12-15, MySQL Conference & Expo, Santa Clara“SQL Injection Myths and Fallacies”Bill Karwin, the author of SQL Antipatterns: Avoiding the Pitfalls of Database Programming
- Apr 14-16, Reston, VA“Pragmatic Studio: Cocoa Programming for Snow Leopard”
- “Grails Quick-Start”
- Apr 16, MinneapolisOn topics around Groovy, and giving a kickoff talk at GR8 Conference
- TBDJared Richardson, the author of Ship It!: A Practical Guide to Successful Software Projects
- Apr 20-23, BangaloreOn topics around Java and Scala, and giving a keynote at Great Indian Developer Summit
- Apr 21, Costa Rica Agile DayTBD
- Apr 22, Manchester Geek Night, Thoughtworks UK“Naked Objects”Dan Haywood, the author of Domain-Driven Design Using Naked Objects
- Apr 26, London“DevDay for iPhone”
- Apr 27-30, Reston, VA
- Apr 28, Geneva“DevDay for iPhone”
- May 2-7, ???teaching PSL with Esther Derby and Jerry Weinberg
- May 11-14, Chicago, IL“Pragmatic Studio iPhone Programming”
- May 11-14, Reston, VA
- May 12-14, Reston, VA
- May 16~19, Software Practice Advancement 2010, London“Customizable UIs with Naked Objects”Dan Haywood, the author of Domain-Driven Design Using Naked Objects
- “Retrospectives Refactored”
- May 18-21, TEK-X PHP Conference, Chicago“SQL Injection Myths and Fallacies” and “Models for Hierarchical Data with SQL and PHP”Bill Karwin, the author of SQL Antipatterns: Avoiding the Pitfalls of Database Programming
- Mar 13, Pittsburgh, PAWIOV ’10: Second Workshop on I/O Virtualization
- Mar 17-19, Pittsburgh, PAVEE 2010: 2010 ACM SIGPLAN/SIGOPS International Conference on Virtual Execution Environments
- Apr 27, San Jose, CALEET ’10: 3rd USENIX Workshop on Large-Scale Exploits and Emergent Threats
- Apr 27, San Jose, CAINM/WREN ’10: 2010 Internet Network Management Workshop/ Workshop on Research on Enterprise Networking
- Apr 27, San Jose, CAIPTPS ’10: 9th International Workshop on Peer-to-Peer Systems
- Apr 28-30, San Jose, CANSDI ’10: 7th USENIX Symposium on Networked Systems Design and Implementation
- Mar 30-Apr 1, San Jose Marriott, 301 South Market Street, San Jose, CA 95113Where 2.0: “Now in its sixth year, the Where 2.0 Conference is where the grassroots and leading edge developers building location-aware technology intersect with the businesses and entrepreneurs seeking out location apps, platforms, and hardware to gain a competitive edge.”
- Apr 12-15, Santa Clara, CAMySQL Conference & Expo: “The largest gathering of MySQL developers, users, and DBAs worldwide.”
- May 25-27, Washington Convention Center, Washington, DCGov 2.0 Expo: “Gov 2.0 Expo will showcase the real-world application of Web 2.0 technologies in government and municipal sectors, featuring a practical program that will teach government employees and contractors how to apply technology best practices to foster greater transparency, ef? ciency, and collaboration.”
- Mar 12-21, Austin, TX
- Mar 16Richard Stallman is 57.
- Apr 5Dean Kamen is 59.
- Apr 6Andy Hertzfeld is 57.
- Apr 14Matz is 45.
- Apr 30The World Wide Web is 17.
- May 17Alan Kay is 70.
- May 19James Gosling is 55.
- May 26Ward Cunningham is 61.