Author sightings, partner events, and other notable happenings.
Gotta lead with this item because it so obviously belongs up front. Front-end developers, take note:
- Sept 20–21, The Treasure of the Frontend Island Frontend Conference, Bologna, ITThe Treasure of the Frontend Island: “On Friday 21st join us on a mind-blowing journey with some of the biggest names in our industry. The conference will take place at the inspiring Teatro Duse, a wonderful XVII century building recently renovated.” Also workshops on the 20th. Not to mention the pirate theme and the Italian craft beers at the after party!
Who’s where, and what for.
- Sept 5, Swipe Conference, Sydney, Australia“Understanding the iOS Graphics System Workshop”
- Sept 5–7, Swipe Conference, Sydney, Australia“Intro to iOS Programming”
- Sept 6, Swipe Conference, Sydney, Australia“Working with Core Data”
- Sept 6–7, Agile Brazil, Sao Paulo, Brazil“Agile Portfolio Planning: Managing Your Project Portfolio” and “Workshop: Hiring For Your Agile Team” and “Workshop: Manage Your Project Portfolio: Increase Your Capacity and Finish More Projects”
- Sept 6–7, Agile on the Beach, Falmouth, UK"Workshop: Pulling together as a Team"
- Sept 7, Windy City Rails, Chicago, ILThe RSpec ToolboxDavid Chelimsky, co-author of The RSpec Book
- Sept 8–9, Barcelona, Spain“The Three Laws of Bulls*it”Paolo "Nusco" Perrotta, author of Metaprogramming Ruby
- Sept 10, Twin Cities Java Users Group, Eagan, MNScala for the Intrigued
- Sept 11, CVRegGlen Allen, VA“The Rails View”John Athayde, co-author of The Rails View
- Sept 11, CocoaHeads, Toronto, CA“Live Document Syncing with iCloud”Jim Dovey
- Sept 11, Agile RTP Raleigh, NC“Uncomfortable with Agile”Andy Hunt
- Sept 12, Dallas Java Metroplex Users Group, Dallas, TXDesign Pattern on Modern JVM Languages
- Sept 14–15, Golden Gate Ruby Conference, San Francisco, CAServices, Scale, Backgrounding and WTF is going on here?David Copeland, Author of Build Awesome Command-Line Applications in Ruby
- Sept 14–15, GoGaRuCoSan Francisco, CA“Deploy, Scale and Sleep Better with JRuby”Joe Kutner, author of Deploying with JRuby
- Sept 19, Rocky Mountain Ruby Conference, Boulder, COVim Masterclass
- Sept 19–20, Frozen RailsHelsinki, Finland“Deploy, Scale and Sleep Better with JRuby”Joe Kutner, author of Deploying with JRuby
- Sept 23, Strange Loop, St. Louis, MOVim Masterclass
- Sept 25, Agile Carolinas Charlotte, NC“Uncomfortable with Agile”Andy Hunt
- Sept 27–28, SurgeBaltimore, MDTBAMichael Bevilacqua-Linn
- Sept 27–28, Agile Cambridge, UK"Workshop: Improve your Coaching Skills"
- Sept 30–Oct 4, JavaOne, San Francisco, CAMultiple topics on Java, Groovy, and Scala
- Oct 1, Agile Testing & BDD Exchange NYC, New York, NYBehavior-Driven ObjectsDavid Chelimsky, co-author of The RSpec Book
- Oct 1–2, Crisp, Stockholm, Sweden“Advanced Agile” (co-teaching with Alistair Cockburn)Henrik Kniberg, author of Lean from the Trenches
- Oct 2, GOTO, Aarhus, Denmark“Continuous Delivery”Michael Nygard, author of Release It!
- Oct 3, StarWest, Anaheim, CABecoming a Kick-*** Test Manager
- Oct 6, AgileEE, Kiev, UkraineKeynoteHenrik Kniberg, author of Lean from the Trenches
- Oct 10, ChicagoAndroid.com and Google Technology User Group Meeting, Chicago, ILWearable Android ComputingMike Riley, author of Programming Your Home
- Oct 10-11, RiconSan Francisco, CATBAMichael Bevilacqua-Linn
- Oct 15-18, Spring2GX, Washington, D.C.Talks on Groovy and JVM Languages Integration
- Oct 22, Heart of England Scrum User Group, Birmingham, UK"Talk: Coaching Teams through Change"
- Oct 23, AgileDCWashington, DC“Test Abstraction: Keeping Your Test-Driven Tests Healthy”Jeff Langr, co-author of Agile in a Flash
- Nov 4–8, Amplifying Your Effectiveness Conference, Albuquerque, NMHas Your Project Outgrown Its Training Wheels?, Replacing Management Myths, What's Your Number One Project?, Improve Your Social Networking Skills, Reinventing Yourself, Congruent Coaching, a full day workshop
- Nov 6, Øredev, Malmo, SwedenVim Masterclass
- Nov 7, Øredev, Malmo, Sweden“Vim—precision editing at the speed of thought”
- Nov 13, Bath Scrum User Group, Bath, UK"Talk: Coaching teams through Change
Upcoming events from our friends at O’Reilly.
- Oct 1–2, Strata Conference, London, EnglandStrata Conference: “The O’Reilly Strata Conference in London will bring together the best minds in data to explore the opportunities made possible by the latest state-of-the-art big data tools and analytic approaches.”
- Oct 2–4, Velocity Conference, London, EnglandVelocity Conference: “This October, hundreds of web ops and performance professionals will gather in London to share their ideas and expertise—and to discover the technical skills, tools, tips, tricks, and best practices they need to exceed the continually increasing expectations for a faster, stronger web.”
- Oct 9, TOC Frankfurt, Frankfurt, GermanyTOC Frankfurt: “Tools of Change Frankfurt returns for a fourth year on Tuesday, 9 October 2012—the eve of the Frankfurt Book Fair (10–14 October)—gathering the best and brightest in our global publishing and technology community for a full day of intriguing keynotes, sessions, and networking.”
- Oct 16–17, Strata Rx Conference, San Francisco, CAStrata Rx Conference: “Strata Rx is the first conference to bring data science to the intractable and urgent issues confronting healthcare.”
- Oct 20, Mini TOC Vancouver, Vancouver, B.C.Mini TOC Vancouver: “While the focus at Mini TOC is on the intersection of technology and publishing—just like at the ‘big’ TOCs—at Mini TOC, the crowd is small, the atmosphere is intimate and informal, and all the emphasis is on attendees and presenters sharing the conversations.”
- Oct 23–25, O’Reilly Strata Conference and Hadoop World, New York, NYO’Reilly Strata Conference and Hadoop World: “Now in its second year in New York, the O’Reilly Strata Conference explores the changes brought to technology and business by big data, data science, and pervasive computing. This year, Strata has joined forces with Hadoop World to create the largest gathering of the Apache Hadoop community in the world.”
What’s coming from our USENIX friends.
- Oct 8–10, OSDI ’12, Hollywood, CA10th USENIX Symposium on Operating Systems Design and Implementation: “The 10th OSDI seeks to present innovative, exciting research in computer systems. OSDI brings together professionals from academic and industrial backgrounds in what has become the premier forum for discussing the design, implementation, and implications of systems software.”
- Sept 1This month the GNU Project turns 29.
- Sept 2First message sent over Internet, 1969.
- Sept 2sendmail creator Eric Allman is 57.
- Sept 10Space tourist Charles Simonyi is 64.
- Sept 27Perl creator Larry Wall is 58.
- Oct 2The Great Quux is 58.
- Oct 4The Free Software Foundation is 37.
- Oct 4Birthday of John Vincent Atanasoff, one of the inventors of the computer.
- Oct 5Linux is 21!
- Oct 6Adobe co-founder John Warnock is 72.
- Oct 12Birthday of Ole-Johan Dahl, co-creator of the Simula language and thus of object-oriented programming.
- Oct 16Mike Muuss, who invented Ping, was born on this date in 1958.
- Oct 25Peter Naur, the N in BNF, is 84.
- Oct 28Former software executive Bill Gates is 57.
- Oct 29On this date in 1969, ARPAnet first linked Doug Engelbart’s lab at SRI with Leonard Kleinrock’s at UCLA.
- Oct 31The traditional date for the leaking of confidential internal Microsoft documents outlining strategies for undermining open source software.
- Nov 1Mitch Kapor is 62.
- Nov 8Bill Joy is 58.
- Nov 6Jerry Yang is 44.
- Nov 10Bert Bos, co-creator of Cascading Style Sheets, is 49.
- Nov 10Richard Brodie, creator of Microsoft Word, is 52.
- Nov 18Pamela Kyle Crossley, historian and creator of SIMPLE, is 57.
- Nov 19Dries Buytaert, Drupal founder and lead developer, is 34.
- Nov 22Randall Schwartz is 51.
- Nov 22PHP creator Rasmus Lerdorf is 44.
- Nov 22And it’s Charles Simonyi’s wedding anniversary.