Programming Ruby 1.9, now in print and shipping
Ruby 1.9 is a significant update to Ruby, with new features added, some taken away, and a lot of library changes. Whether you’re already working in 1.9 or just learning Ruby for the first time, this is the book to get.
Programming Ruby 1.9
Would you like to go from first idea to working code much, much faster? Do you currently spend more time satisfying the compiler instead of your clients or end users? Are you frustrated with demanding languages that seem to get in your way, instead of getting the work done? Are you using Rails, and want to dig deeper into the underlying Ruby language? If so, then we’ve got a language and book for you!
Ruby is a fully object-oriented language, much like the classic object-oriented language, Smalltalk. Like Smalltalk, it is dynamically typed (as opposed to Java or C++), but unlike Smalltalk, Ruby features the same conveniences found in modern scripting languages such as Perl and Python.
The combination of the power of a pure object-oriented language with the convenience of a scripting language makes Ruby a favorite tool of intelligent, forward-thinking programmers.
This is the reference manual for Ruby, including a description of all the standard library modules, a complete reference to all built-in classes and modules (including all the new and changed methods introduced by Ruby 1.9). It also includes all the new and changed syntax and semantics introduced since Ruby 1.8. Learn about the new parameter passing rules, local variable scoping in blocks, fibers, and the new block declaration syntax, among other exciting new features.
- The definitive reference manual for Ruby programmers.
- Up-to-date and expanded for Ruby version 1.9.
- Complete documentation of all built-in classes, modules, and methods.
- Complete descriptions of all 98 standard libraries.
Available now in print and PDF from pragprog.com/titles/ruby3
Please note: for various technical reasons, epub and mobi versions of this title will not be available: PDF is the only available eBook format.
- Land the Tech Job You Love—next up!
- Practical Programming in print next
- Programming Clojure in print shortly
- ...and more titles to keep you at the top of your game
- Domain-Driven Design Using Naked Objects in beta
- The Passionate Programmer
- Agile Web Development with Rails, 3rd Ed.
- Modular Java in beta
Thanks for your continued support,
Andy & Dave