Author sightings, partner events, and other notable happenings.
We often want to call your attention to a particular event, and this month a couple have caught our eye.
- Nov 10–12, clojure-conj, Raleigh, NCclojure-conjStuart Halloway and Aaron Bedra, co-authors of Programming Clojure, 2nd Edition (among others)
- Dec 3, ErlangDC, Dulles, VAAn Epic One-Day Erlang Conference in Washington, DCorganized by the local DC Erlang Meetup Group
Who’s where, and what for.
- Oct 30–Nov 4, AYE Conference, Cary, NC“Project Bloat Doesn't Float,” “Replacing Management Myths with Effective Practices,” “Influence and Authority: Using Your Personal Power to Get Things Done,” “Adapting to Change in Your Life,” and a one-day workshop: “Making Geographically Distributed Projects Work”
- Nov 3, Java2Days, Sofia, Bulgaria“Regex—The future programmer’s best friend”
- Nov 4, Java2Days, Sofia, Bulgaria“Pomodoro Technique”
- Nov 5, Ruby Midwest, Kansas City, MO“Make Awesome Command-Line Apps with Ruby”David Copeland, author of Build Awesome Command-Line Apps with Ruby
- Nov 5, Midwest Ruby Conf, Kansas City, MOModern DatabasesEric Redmond, co-author of Seven Databases in Seven Weeks
- Nov 5, Midwest Ruby Conf, Kansas City, MOKeynoteAndy Hunt, Pragmatic Programmer
- Nov 6–11, Better Software Conference East, Orlando, FLThree tutorials: “Tuning and Improving Your Agility,” “Agile Project Design: Building Strong Backlogs,” “Agile Estimation and Planning: Scrum, Kanban, and Beyond”David Hussman, author of Cutting an Agile Groove
- Nov 7–9, Clojure/conj, Raleigh, NC“(with-training Clojure/conj)”
- Nov 12, Chippewa Valley Code Camp 4, Eau Claire, WI“Web Development With CoffeeScript and Sass”Brian Hogan, co-author of Web Development Recipes
- Nov 12–13, Voices That Matter: iOS Developers Conference, Boston, MA“Core Audio Cranks It Up” and “Capturing Stills, Sounds, and Scenes with AV Foundation”
- Nov 16, QConSF, San Francisco, CA“One () to rule them all”
- Nov 16, Agilis, Reykjavik, IcelandWorkshopRachel Davies, author of Agile Coaching
- Nov 18, SCNA, Chicago, IL“Simplicity”
- Nov 18–19, Software Craftsmanship, North America, Chicago, IL“Practice techniques in other disciplines”David Chelimsky, co-author of The RSpec Book
- Nov 22, Best of DevSum, Stockholm, Sweden“Regex in .NET”
- Nov 29–Dec 2, Pragmatic Studios, Reston, VAiPhone/iPad Programming
- Dec 2, Cocoaconf, Raleigh, NCKeynoteAndy Hunt, Pragmatic Programmer
- Dec 2–3, Cocoaconf, Raleigh, NC“Core Audio Cranks It Up” and “Capturing Stills, Sounds, and Scenes with AV Foundation”
- Dec 3–4, CocoaConf, Raleigh, NCKeynote: “Objective-C: the Director’s Cut”
- Jan 11-13, CodeMash, Sandusky, OH“Developing With iOS 5 ” and “iOS Networking: Bonjour, iCloud!”
- Jan 11–13, CodeMash, Sandusky, OH“Mac Development for the iOS Developer” and “Storyboards: New development in iOS5”
- Jan 23–27, OOP 2012, Munich, GermanyTutorial: “Influence and Authority: Using Your Personal Power to Get Things Done,” Talk: “Six Behaviors to Consider When Hiring for an Agile Team”
Upcoming events from our friends at O’Reilly.
- Nov 8–9, Velocity Europe, Berlin, GermanyVelocity Europe: “Velocity Europe is the convergence of performance and site reliability experts and rock stars who share the unique experience that can only be gained by operating at scale. At Velocity, leading experts share their knowledge about how you can make your site scalable, reliable, and fast.”
- Dec 6–7, Velocity China, Beijing, ChinaVelocity China: “Network performance, operation, and maintenance, once the secret weapon of the elite of the Internet companies, is now an important part of the online strategy of all Internet companies.”
What’s coming from our USENIX friends.
- Dec 4–5, CHIMIT 2011, Boston, MAACM Symposium on Computer Human Interaction for Management of Information Technology: “At CHIMIT, researchers and practitioners share issues, solutions, and research drawing upon fields such as human-computer interaction, human factors, computer systems, and management and service sciences to address cognitive, social, and technical issues in managing the increasing complexity of modern IT systems.”
- Dec 4–9, LISA '11, Boston, MA25th Large Installation System Administration Conference: “LISA ’11 will break out the time machine and take you on a journey of system administration through the years via top-notch training, innovative research, Practice and Experience Reports, and that all-important face time with others confronting the same challenges you battle everyday.”
- Dec 12–16, Middleware 2011, Lisbon, PortugalACM/IFIP/USENIX 12th International Middleware Conference: “The scope of the conference is the design, implementation, deployment, and evaluation of distributed system platforms and architectures for future computing and communication environments.”