Author sightings, partner events, and other notable happenings.
Seventy-three years ago this month, on January 1, 1939, Bill Hewlett and Dave Packard signed the papers to create their historic partnership, flipping a coin to decide whose name would go first. The year before they had rented rooms at 367 Addison Avenue in Palo Alto. Dave and Lucille had the downstairs apartment, the landlady lived upstairs, Bill moved into the shed in back, and the garage became the first home of Hewlett-Packard and the “Birthplace of Silicon Valley.”
And so a legend was born.
Here’s what’s coming up in the next three months:
Who’s where, and what for.
- Jan 11, CodeMash, Sandusky, OHPreCompiler: Mac OS X for iOS Developers
- Jan 11-13, CodeMash, Sandusky, OH“Developing With iOS 5” and “iOS Networking: Bonjour, iCloud!”Chris Adamson, co-author of iPhone SDK Development
- Jan 13, CodeMash, Sandusky, OHSession: Storyboarding in iOS 5
- Jan 18, London Scala Users’ Group, London, UKScalaMock: “Power” Mocking for ScalaPaul Butcher, author of Debug It!: Find, Repair, and Prevent Bugs in Your Code
- Jan 19, APLN Houston, Houston, TXtalk on Refactoring
- Jan 20, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Lubar School of Business, Milwaukee, WIiOS 5 Quickstart
- Jan 21, Colorado Code Retreat, Denver, COtopic TBD
- Jan 23-26, Pragmatic Studio, Denver, COiPhone/iPad Programming
- Jan 23–27, OOP 2012, Munich, GermanyTutorial: “Influence and Authority: Using Your Personal Power to Get Things Done,” Talk: “Six Behaviors to Consider When Hiring for an Agile Team”
- Jan 24, By the best from DevSum, Stockholm, Sweden“Advanced Regex in .NET”
- Feb 13–15, Jfokus, Stockholm, Sweden“Regex Applied—when regex is a winner”
- Feb 17–19, Agile India 2012topic TBD
- Feb 24–25, NFJS Madison, Madison, WItopic TBD
- Feb 28, Manchester Java User Group, Manchester, Englandtopic TBD
- Feb 28, Softdevon III, Crakow, Poland“Pomodoro Technique—can you focus for 25 minutes?”
- Mar 2–4, NFJS Minneapolis, Minneapolis, MNtopic TBD
- March 6-9, Pragmatic Studio, Denver, COiPhone/iPad Programming
- Mar 8, Scandinavian Agile Conference, Helsinki, Finlandtopic TBD
- Mar 9–11, NFJS Boston, Boston, MAtopic TBD
- Mar 12-14, 2012, Belgium Testing Days, Brussels, BelgiumTutorial: “Influence and Authority: Using Your Personal Power to Get Things Done,” Keynote: “QA or Test? Does it Matter? You Bet it Does!”
- March 16-17, CocoaConf, Chicago, ILStoryboarding, Testing, and a Keynote
- Mar 19–20, Software Passion Summit 2012, Gothenburg, Sweden“Advanced Regex”
- Mar 19–21, 33degree, Krakow, Polandvarious topics related to JVM
Upcoming events from our friends at O’Reilly.
- Jan 25, Strata Online ConferenceStrata Online Conference: “In this online conference, we’ll look at hot topics, brewing controversies, and cutting-edge technologies that promise to change how we live, work, play, learn, and love. Hear from some of Strata’s marquee speakers about what’s consuming them in the Big Data world in this web-based event.”
- Feb 13–15, TOC, New York, NYO’Reilly Tools of Change for Publishing Conference 2012: “O’Reilly’s TOC Conference is where the publishing and tech industries converge, as practitioners and executives from both camps share what they’ve learned from their successes and failures, explore ideas, and join together to navigate publishing’s ongoing transformation.”
- Feb 28–Mar 1, Strata Conference, Santa Clara, CAO’Reilly Strata Conference: “Strata brings together practitioners, researchers, IT leaders and entrepreneurs to discuss big data, Hadoop, analytics, visualization, and data markets.”
- Mar 18, TOC Bologna, Bologna, ItalyTools of Change Bologna: “TOC and the Bologna Children’s Book Fair will team up once again, this time producing an unparalleled event featuring sessions, demos, workshops, and keynotes covering the art, craft, and business of storytelling in the digital age.”
What’s coming from our USENIX friends.
- Feb 5–8, NDSS 2012, San Diego, CA19th Annual Network & Distributed System Security Symposium: “The Network and Distributed System Security Symposium fosters information exchange among researchers and practitioners of network and distributed system security.”
- Feb 14–17, FAST ’12, San Jose, CA10th USENIX Conference on File and Storage Technologies: “FAST ’12 brings together storage system researchers and practitioners to explore new directions in the design, implementation, evaluation, and deployment of storage systems.”