August 27, 2014
Happy birthday today to Kristen Nygaard, who along with Ole-Johan Dahl invented Object Oriented Programming and the first OOP language, Simula, back in the 1960s.
Now it's fifty years later, and we're still making object oriented languages to solve real problems. One of the latest: Dart.
With version 1.0 in 2013 and an ECMA standard in 2014, Dart is ready to radically change web development for the better. And Dart 1 for Everyone has got you covered. Now available in beta at pragprog.com/book/csdart1.
Dart 1 for Everyone: Fast, Flexible, Structured Code for the Modern Web
Brand-new sections explore some of Dart's beautiful new features, such as:
- Method cascades: Improve code readability dramatically.
- Event streams: Simplified event handling, consistent with virtually every other asynchronous interaction in Dart.
- Library parts: Yet another way Dart promotes code organization.
- New class constructor syntax: Dart supports a nice variety of surprisingly expressive and concise ways to declare constructors.
- Building your own packages: Quickly share your work with the world.
You'll start writing Dart code on page 1, and throughout the book, you'll refactor that code to explore Dart’s features: OOP, real libraries and packages, testing, and more. You'll learn how to write beautiful, maintainable application code that just works™ in all modern browsers.
Now available in beta at pragprog.com/book/csdart1.
Help Developers and Win Print Books!
You could be featured in an upcoming weekly newsletter, and win five free print books.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and tell us how our books have changed you, your team, or your company for the better. Tell us your story in 3 or 4 paragraphs or so. We'll read all your stories and draw at least one winner who will receive five free print books. If we get enough great entries, we may pick additional winners. It's up to you.
We'll feature the winning entry or entries right here in the newsletter, as well as on our website at pragprog.com for the whole world to see.
Tell us your story, and help out your fellow software developers.
Upcoming Author Appearances
Don't Get Left Out
Are your friends jealous that you get these spiffy email newsletters and they don't? Clue them in that all they need to do is create an account on pragprog.com (email address and password is all it takes) and select the checkbox to receive newsletters.
Are you following us on Twitter and/or Facebook? Here's where you can find us and keep up with the latest news and commentary, and occasional discounts:
Tell your friends! Tweet this
- The Cucumber Book for Java
- The Nature of Software Development
- Fire in the Valley in print
- Seven More Languages in Seven Weeks in print
- Mastering Clojure Macros: Write Cleaner, Faster, Smarter Code
- Metaprogramming Ruby 2
- Growing Rails Applications in Practice
- Build iOS Games with Sprite Kit
Thanks for your continued support,
Dave & Andy
The Pragmatic Programmers
Books • eBooks • PragPub Magazine • Audiobooks and Screencasts