March 26, 2014
Absolutely nothing interesting happened on this day in history. Except, perhaps, that it's Robert Frost's birthday. Ready to take the road less traveled and expand your Rails skills?
As a follow-up to their popular online Rails course, our friends over at The Pragmatic Studio, Mike and Nicole Clark, have released an online Rails II course. This self-paced, online course helps you take your skills up a notch by learning how to design some of the more advanced features common in Rails apps.
Have at it.
Online Rails II Programming Course
Whether you're looking to get started with Ruby and Rails, or wanting to get back into it after some time away, The Pragmatic Studio has you covered. With the addition of this new course, you can now seamlessly progress from Ruby novice to Rails practitioner in this series of three courses.
Ruby + Rails + Rails II
First, the online Ruby course is designed to help folks who are new to Ruby or Rails. If you want to become fluent in Ruby, or use Rails more effectively, then this course is for you.
- Learn object-oriented programming the Ruby way
- Design a complete Ruby program, step-by-step
- Code like the pros using Ruby idioms and design techniques
- Publish your first Ruby gem!
Second, in the online Rails course you’ll learn all the fundamentals every Rails developer should know and how to put the pieces together, so you can confidently create your first Rails app from idea to deployment.
- Build a complete Rails 4 web app from scratch
- Learn key design principles and best practices
- Understand the "magic" behind Rails
- Deploy your first Rails app!
Third, in the new online Rails II course you’ll move beyond the fundamentals of Rails and learn how to design more advanced features.
- Extend an app to include user and admin accounts
- Design many-to-many and through associations
- Customize routes to handle scenarios beyond the basic resource routes
- Learn tried-and-true practices used by veteran Rails developers
Videos and Exercises
Each online course offers a unique mix of video instruction and workbook exercises, including:
- HD-quality videos with personal instruction, live coding, and animated visuals.
- A comprehensive online workbook with hands-on exercises so you can immediately practice what you learned in the videos, directly on your own computer.
- Two parallel apps so you can apply what you learned in slightly different contexts and challenge yourself in new ways.
- Access to a support mailing list exclusively for participants of the course.
- Unlimited access to the course so you can rewatch the videos, redo the exercises, and revisit the material as often as you like!
To get a feel for the course format, check out the introduction videos and free modules in the Ruby, Rails, and Rails II courses today. And if you purchase more than one online course, you'll automatically save 25% on the second (and third) course!
Now available at the Pragmatic Studio's website at www.pragmaticstudio.com.
Upcoming Author Appearances
Did You Know?
You can synch your ebooks amongst your devices via Dropbox, including updates! Just login to your account on pragprog.com, edit your profile, and connect your dropbox account. See our FAQ for details.
Don't Get Left Out
Are your friends jealous that you get these spiffy email newsletters and they don't? Clue them in that all they need to do is create an account on pragprog.com (email address and password is all it takes) and select the checkbox to receive newsletters.
Are you following us on Twitter and/or Facebook? Here's where you can find us and keep up with the latest news and commentary, and occasional discounts:
- Manage Your Job Search
- Tell us what you’d like to see next!
- iPad and iPhone Kung Fu
- Metaprogramming Ruby
- Build iOS Games with Sprite Kit
- Functional Programming in Java: Harnessing the Power of Java 8 Lambda Expressions
Thanks for your continued support,
Dave & Andy
The Pragmatic Programmers
Books • eBooks • PragPub Magazine • Audiobooks and Screencasts