December 11, 2013
Here's the real truth about Santa Claus: he's not going to slide down the chimney and rescue your software project. Don't get stuck with a lump of coal! Listen to The Agile Samurai: How Agile Masters Deliver Great Software audio book for the answers.
Hoping for something shiny under the tree? Maybe a Google Glass headset? Get ready for the very latest in shiny tech with Programming Google Glass by Eric Redmond.
See below for more gift ideas in our Holiday Gift Guide. No lines, no crowds, and instant delivery for ebooks and audio books for programmers and their families!
Programming Google Glass
Google Glass is the next big thing in portable technology—a wearable computer with an optical head-mounted display. Programming Google Glass is your all-inclusive guidebook for crafting your own Glassware using the Mirror API.
You'll start by setting up a production-ready service using Google App Engine, then provide Glass users an authorization to your Glassware. You'll learn how to handle the provided credentials, and from there you'll dive into the parts that make up the Glass interface, managing the timeline and creating cards and menu items. Next you'll create services where the user can interact with your server, such as geolocation tracking, change notifications, and custom menu options. You'll use this information to create a sophisticated application that suggests local restaurants. You'll see how to attach or detach assets, images, and video, and learn the basics of the emerging field of optical-display design. You'll see how to properly design new Glassware and update existing applications to become Glassware.
Now is the best time to be an early adopter of a technology that will only become more advanced, nuanced, and ubiquitous.
Now available from pragprog.com/book/erpgg, print books ship approximately 12/30.
The Agile Samurai (audio book): How Agile Masters Deliver Great Software
Get ready to kick some software project butt. By learning the ways of the agile samurai you will discover:
- how to create plans and schedules your customer and your team can believe in
- what characteristics make a good agile team and how to form your own
- how to gather requirements in a fraction of the time using agile user stories
- what to do when you discover your schedule is wrong, and how to look like a pro correcting it
- how to execute fiercely by leveraging the power of agile software engineering practices
By the end of this book you will know everything you need to set up, execute, and successfully deliver agile projects, and have fun along the way.
If you're a project lead, this book gives you the tools to set up and lead your agile project from start to finish. If you are an analyst, programmer, tester, usability designer, or project manager, this book gives you the insight and foundation necessary to become a valuable agile team member.
The Agile Samurai slices away the fluff and theory that make other books less-than-agile. It's packed with best practices, war stories, plenty of humor and hands-on tutorial exercises that will get you doing the right things, the right way.
This book will make a difference.
Narrated by Don Fernando Azevedo. Now available from pragprog.com/audio_books/jtrap/the-agile-samurai-audio-book in m4b for iTunes, mp3, and ogg formats.
Holiday Gift Guide
Fun Functional Programming:
- Programming Elixir
- Functional Programming in Java
- Web Development with Clojure
- Functional Programming Patterns in Scala and Clojure
Fun for the Kids:
Fun and Games:
- Programming Sound with Pure Data
- Create Mobile Games with Corona
- OpenGL ES 2 for Android
- Rapid Android Development
- Programming Your Home
Fun in Seven Weeks:
- Seven Web Frameworks in Seven Weeks
- Seven Concurrency Models in Seven Weeks
- Seven Databases in Seven Weeks
- Seven Languages in Seven Weeks
Fun on the Web:
Fun for Everyone:
Upcoming Author Appearances
Don't Get Left Out
Are your friends jealous that you get these spiffy email newsletters and they don't? Clue them in that all they need to do is create an account on pragprog.com (email address and password is all it takes) and select the checkbox to receive newsletters.
Are you following us on Twitter and/or Facebook? Here's where you can find us and keep up with the latest news and commentary, and occasional discounts:
- Crafting Rails 4 Applications: Expert Practices for Everyday Rails Development
- Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, and all Happy Holidays to each and every one!
- Learn to Program with Minecraft Plugins: Create Flying Creepers and Flaming Cows in Java
- Remote Pairing: Collaborative Tools for Distributed Development
- Build Awesome Command-Line Applications in Ruby 2: Control Your Computer, Simplify Your Life
Thanks for your continued support,
Andy & Dave
The Pragmatic Programmers
Books • eBooks • PragPub Magazine • Audiobooks and Screencasts