June 21, 2017
Check out the video at www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoz_soxBKpQ
Rails, Angular, Postgres, and Bootstrap, Second Edition: Powerful, Effective, Efficient, Full-Stack Web Development
Rails is a great tool for building web applications, but it’s not the best at everything. Embrace the features built into your database. Learn how to use front-end frameworks. Seize the power of the application stack through Angular 4, Bootstrap, and PostgreSQL. When used together, these powerful and easy-to-use tools will open you to a new world of possibilities. This second edition is updated to cover Angular 4—a completely reworked front-end framework—and dives into new Postgres 9.6 features such as UPSERT. Also new is Webpack coverage, to develop the front-end code for your Rails application.
Create a usable and attractive login form using Bootstrap’s styles, while ensuring the database table backing it is secure using Postgres’ check constraints. See how creating an advanced Postgres index for a case-insensitive search speeds up your back end—enabling you to create a dynamic user experience using Angular 4. Create reusable components that bring Bootstrap and Angular together and effectively use materialized views for caching within Postgres. Get your front end working with Webpack, use Postgres’ features from migrations, and write unit tests for all of it. All of this within Rails 5.1.
You’ll gain the confidence to work at every level of the application stack, bringing the right solution to every problem.
Now available in print and shipping from pragprog.com/book/dcbang2.
Developing With Elixir/OTP Online Course from The Pragmatic Studio
See Elixir app development in action! In The Pragmatic Studio's latest course, Developing With Elixir/OTP (pragmaticstudio.com/elixir), you'll learn many key facets of Elixir by developing an elementary HTTP web server from scratch.
By building a real app with real code, you'll gain experience in this course not only with Elixir syntax, but more importantly with the design techniques and functional programming principles critical to well-built Elixir apps.
This course takes a project-based approach with new features and requirements added along the way, including:
- pattern matching routes
- serving dynamic templates
- holding in-memory state
- communicating via sockets
- handling concurrent requests
- supervising processes
- and everything else that goes into reliably transforming HTTP requests to responses
By following the timeline of a real-life project, you'll see how all the pieces fit together. Syntax, concepts, and libraries are introduced progressively when they're needed to actually get something done. Think of the videos like focused pair-programming sessions with an experienced mentor.
Special early access pricing is still available and includes:
- 3+ hours of videos that get right to the point and keep you engaged
- bite-sized modules you can easily watch over lunch or on your commute
- extensive notes that take you deeper into Elixir, help you practice what you've learned, and explore different design techniques
- never-ending access so you can refer back to all the course material whenever you want
Get your copy of the Developing With Elixir/OTP (pragmaticstudio.com/elixir) course early and save up to 30%!
Upcoming Author Appearances
Did you know we have audio books for your listening pleasure?
- Fire in the Valley: The Birth and Death of the Personal Computer
- The Healthy Programmer: Get Fit, Feel Better, and Keep Coding
- The Agile Samurai: How Agile Masters Deliver Great Software
- The Developer's Code: What Real Programmers Do
- Pomodoro Technique Illustrated: The Easy Way to Do More in Less Time
Don't Get Left Out
Are your friends jealous that you get these spiffy email newsletters and they don't? Clue them in that all they need to do is create an account on pragprog.com (email address and password is all it takes) and select the checkbox to receive newsletters.
Are you following us on Twitter and/or Facebook? Here's where you can find us and keep up with the latest news and commentary, and occasional discounts:
Tell your friends! Tweet this
- Scalable Cloud Ops with Fugue (in print)
- Seven Databases in Seven Weeks, Second Edition
- Mastering Ruby Closures (in print)
- Create Your Successful Agile Project: Collaborate, Measure, Estimate, Deliver
- Learn Functional Programming with Elixir: New Foundations for a New World
- Node.js 8 the Right Way
- Programming Clojure, Third Edition
- Domain Modeling Made Functional
- Python Testing with pytest
Thanks for your continued support,
Publisher, Pragmatic Bookshelf
Books • eBooks • PragPub Magazine • Audiobooks and Screencasts