Using the new Map Kit framework available in iPhone 3.0, you can embed customized maps within your iPhone application. In this screencast you’ll learn how to build an iPhone application from scratch that displays a map of recent earthquakes, shows custom annotations with callouts, and automatically zooms to a region of interest.
- Download and watch DRM-free episodes when and where it's convenient for you
- You get iPod/iPhone 3, iPad/iPhone 4, and QuickTime formats.
All the episodes in this series have been released.
About this Screencast
Watching this screencast is a great way to quickly get up to speed on the new Map Kit framework and integrate it into your iPhone applications. In addition to the videos, you can also download the full source code so you can follow along and experiment on your own.
Contents and Extracts
This screencast covers the following topics:
- Understanding Map Kit terminology
- Setting up a project from scratch
- Creating a map view delegate
- Displaying a basic map showing the user’s current location
- Highlighting points of interest with custom annotations
- Setting a map view region and zooming to a given region of interest
- Adding callouts to annotations, specifically to show details in Safari
- An example of how to use a web service to asynchronously fetch map data