The Cloud and Amazon Web Services
by Jesse Anderson
Available in DRM-free iPod/iPhone 3 Video, Quicktime Video, and Theora Ogg.
Download and watch when and where you want.
“The Cloud” is a buzzword that’s been hyped and overused. We’ll cut through the marketing cruft with a series that starts with the basic concepts behind cloud computing and guides you through practical, hands-on examples using Amazon’s cloud offerings.
This six-episode series targets users who are new to the cloud, with content tailored for novice to mid-range expertise levels. Jesse’s material is useful for both developers and managers. The preview video has more information about which sections are best for each audience. The series covers the main Amazon Web Services’ technologies like EC2 and S3. It also covers the lesser known, but incredibly useful technologies like Elastic Load Balancer, CloudFront, Elastic MapReduce, and Relational Database Service. Each episode covers several Amazon Web Services technologies, discusses the theories behind them, and presents practical exercises.
SAVE 30% on the whole series. Buy all episodes of this series and automatically save 30% over the individual price.
You’ll learn how to leverage the cloud in the same way Jesse did when he developed The Million Monkeys Project. He used cloud computing resources to simulate the proverbial “million monkeys” at a typewriter, randomly churning away until they’d re-created all of Shakespeare’s works.
The cloud makes resources available to your shop that were traditionally available only to larger IT shops. This allows someone in their basement or a startup to leverage and use the same infrastructure as the larger IT shops. You’ll learn about engineering for this new infrastructure, security considerations, how to use map-reduce (with Hadoop), pricing models, and more. Pick up the entire set and you’ll have the right information for every member of your organization.
Each of our books has its own dedicated discussion
area, where readers help each other out. Many authors
also choose to drop by.
Here are some recent topics:
Contents & Extracts
Free Preview Video:
1. The Phantom Cloud
2. Attack of the WordPress
- Introduction and overview of The Cloud
- The various types of Cloud Providers
- How Service Level Agreements affect your business
- An Introduction to storing data with S3
3. Revenge of the Cloud
- Launching your first EC2 instance
- Using custom AMIs to rapidly deploy a software stack
- Running a WordPress instance in the The Cloud
4. A New Cloud Hope
- Security and Organizational considerations when moving to The Cloud
- Performance Considerations
- Vertical and Horizontal Scaling
- Using Elastic Load Balancing to scale
5. The Cluster Strikes Back
- Calculating the ROI of a move to The Cloudera
- AWS Pricing Models
- Calculating cost rollup for a Cloud deployment
- Comparing IT costs using a price per unit
6. The Return of the Ensemble
- Creating a Hadoop cluster in The Cloud with Elastic MapReduce
- The Million Monkeys Project
- How Hadoop and MapReduce work
- How Elastic MapReduce leverages Hadoop and EC2 instances
- Hadoop scalability on Elastic MapReduce
- Using CloudFront to quickly serve content
- Starting Windows EC2 Instances
- Connecting to Linux and Windows EC2 instances in The Cloud
- Using the Relational Database Service for a Cloud Database
- Moving an existing database to use the Relational Database Service
Brought to You By
Jesse Anderson is a Creative Engineer in Reno with many years of experience in creating products and helping companies improve their software engineering. He works at Cloudera on the Educational Services team as a Curriculum Developer and Instructor. Jesse works on both professional and personal projects. A recent personal project, Million Monkeys Shakespeare project, went viral and gained international notoriety. Jesse’s interviews national media outlets including the Wall Street Journal and Fox News. He volunteers his time as the President of the Northern Nevada Software Developers Group and he sits on the Technology Advisory Committee at Morrison University.
His blog and website is jesse-anderson.com and his Github account contains example MapReduce programs github.com.
Upcoming Author Events
Continuous Testing to Drive Continuous Integration and Deployment
(Agile Dev West (Vegas))
Growing with GROWS: Intentional Experimentation
(TriAgile (RTP, NC))
Keynote on moving your career to the next level and a half day tutorial on ATDD