Great programmers aren’t born—they’re made. The industry is moving from object-oriented languages to functional languages, and you need to commit to radical improvement. New programming languages arm you with the tools and idioms you need to refine your craft. While other language primers take you through basic installation and “Hello, World,” we aim higher. Each language in Seven More Languages in Seven Weeks will take you on a step-by-step journey through the most important paradigms of our time. You’ll learn seven exciting languages: Lua, Factor, Elixir, Elm, Julia, MiniKanren, and Idris.
This title is currently available in Beta. Buy the eBook now, and you'll be able to download successive releases of the eBook as the authors add material and correct mistakes. You'll get the final eBook when the book is finished.
If you buy the combo pack (Beta eBook + finished Paper Book) now, you'll get the Beta eBook immediately. You'll get the finished paper book when it's released (we're currently estimating 2014-09-10, but these dates can change).
About this Book
- 350 pages (est)
- Release: B2.0 (2014-07-14)
- ISBN: 978-1-94122-215-7
Learn from the award-winning programming series that inspired the Elixir language. Hear how other programmers across broadly different communities solve problems important enough to compel language development. Expand your perspective, and learn to solve multicore and distribution problems.
When you’re done, you’ll have written programs in five different programming paradigms that were written on three different continents. You’ll have explored four languages on the leading edge, invented in the past five years, and three more radically different languages, each with something significant to teach you.
Contents and Extracts
This book is currently in beta, so the contents and extracts will change as the book is developed.
- The Lay of the Land
- Bruce Tate (Elixir and Elm)
- Fred Daoud (Factor)
- Ian Dees (Lua, Idris)
- Jack Moffit (Julia, miniKanren)
- Who Should Read This Book
- A Final Charge
- Online Resources
- Day 1: The Call to Adventure
- Day 2: Tables All the Way Down
- Day 3: Lua and the World
- Wrapping Up Lua
- Day 1: Stack On, Stack Off
- Day 2: Painting the Fence
- Day 3: Balancing on a Boat
- Wrapping Up Factor
- Day 1: Handling the Basics
- Day 2: Taming Callbacks excerpt
- Day 3: It’s All a Game
- Wrapping Up Elm
- Day 1: Laying a Great Foundation excerpt
- Day 2: Controlling Mutations
- Day 3: Spawning and Respawning
- Wrapping Up Elixir
- Day 1: Unified Theories of Code
- Day 2: Mixing the Logical and Functional
- Day 3: Writing Stories with Logic excerpt
- Wrapping Up miniKanren
- Wrapping Up