OUT OF PRINT
Now there’s no need for you to choose between the ease of deployment of a web page and the interactive features of a rich desktop application. Ajax redefines the user experience for web applications. Your application can provide a compelling user interface delivered plug-in free using modern web browsers. This book shows you how to make Ajax magic, exploring both the fundamental technologies and the emerging frameworks that make it easy.
Out of Print
This book is currently out of print.
About this Book
- 296 pages
- Release: P2.1 (2008-09-22)
- ISBN: 978-0-9766-9408-3
A new approach to web development
Ajax turns static web pages into interactive applications. Now you can deploy rich-client applications to clients without sacrificing the easy deployment of web applications. But to many folks, Ajax seems difficult. That’s why we produced this book. As a Pragmatic guide, it strips away the mystery and shows you the easy way to make Ajax work for you.
Writing dynamic applications isn’t that hard. Folks are awed by Google Maps, but it isn’t rocket science (apart from the satellite pictures). As a special bonus, see how to implement your own Google Maps-like application using DHTML.
Contents and Extracts
- Building Rich Internet Applications with Ajax. What is Ajax. Why now? Whither now?
- Ajax In Action. What it means to Ajaxify a web application.
- Google Maps Made Easy. Folks are awed by Google Maps, but it isn’t rocket science (apart from the satellite pictures). See how to implement your own Google Maps-like application using DHTML.(partial extract…)
- Ajax Frameworks. Why you need a framework. Introduction to Dojo and Prototype. (partial extract…)
- Ajax UI, Part II. Standard patterns. Web forms and effects. A look at the things that you shouldn’t do when deploying Ajax applications. (partial extract…)
- Debugging Ajax. Tools, techniques, and tricks.
- Server-side frameworks. Java, .NET, PHP, and Rails
- Beyond Ajax. Mozilla XUL, Microsoft HTA, Flash as an Ajax component.
- Ajax Futures. E4X, Canvas, SVG, JSON.