Tired of making web sites that work absolutely perfectly but just don’t, well, look very nice? Using The Principles of Beautiful Web Design, you’ll see just how easy it can be to create aesthetically pleasing and usable web site designs.
This gorgeous, full-color book will guide you through the complete design process, from getting inspiration and sketching ideas out, through to choosing a color scheme, designing the layout, and selecting effective imagery.
Out of Print
This book is currently out of print.
About this Book
- 180 pages
- ISBN: 978-0-9758-4196-9
Throughout, the focus is on simple and practical techniques that anyone can use—you don’t need to have gone to art school or have artistic flair to create stunning designs using the methods outlined in this book.
You’ll follow along as author and design guru Jason Beaird creates a complete web site layout using the techniques that you’ve learned.
The book’s full-color layout and large format (8” x 10”) make The Principles Of Beautiful Wed Design a pleasure to read.
This book will show you how to:
- Understand the design process, from discovery to implementation.
- Develop pleasing layouts using grids, the rule of thirds, balance, and symmetry.
- Use color effectively, develop color schemes and create a palette.
- Use textures: lines, points, shapes, volumes, and depth.
- Learn how good typography can make ordinary designs look great.
- Effective imagery: choosing, editing and placing images.
- Understand what makes “good design.”
- Follow an example design from concept to completion.
- And lots more…
Contents and Extracts
- Layout and Composition
- The Design Process
- Defining Good Design
- Web Page Anatomy
- Grid Theory
- Bread-and-butter Layouts
- Getting Inspired
- Fresh Trends
- Resizing: Fixed Width vs Liquid Width
- Screen Resolution
- Application: Florida Country Tile
- The Psychology of Color
- Color Temperature
- Color Value
- Color Theory 101
- Red, Yellow, and Blue or CMYK?
- The Scheme of Things
- Creating a Palette
- Application: the Color of Tile
- Volume and Depth
- Building Texture
- Application: Grouting and Setting
- Taking Type to the Web
- Anatomy of a Letterform
- Text Spacing
- Text Alignment
- Typeface Distinctions
- Finding Fonts
- Choosing the Right Fonts
- Application: Tile Typography
- What to Look For
- Legitimate Image Sources
- How Not to Impress
- Creative Cropping
- Photoshop Adjustments
- File Formats and Resolutions
- Borders and Edge Treatments
- Application: Polishing off Florida Country
- Finding Inspiration (or Don’t Always Follow the Crowd)